Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fazer mirrors on Superhawk

I've read on the Internet forums that stock rear view mirrors of a Honda VTR1000F motorcycle (AKA Superhawk and Firestorm) are not really best of the breed for riding in the city. Most frequent alternative people mention are the stock mirrors of Yamaha Fazer 1000.

So I purchased a pair of Emgo aftermarket Fazer mirrors:


having a plan to replace stock VFR's mirrors with these ones.

Here's my '2002 VFR1000F with its stock mirrors:


First thing to do is to cut off the exile of the hinge of the Fazer mirrors to reach the mounting hole at the end of the mirror's shaft.

Notice the length difference of VFR vs Fazer mirrors.


The rest is quite straightforward - simply bolt-on the new mirror to the original Honda's bracket. I put  elastic shims from the Fazer mirror hinge between bracket and shaft to maintain some tension between them, yet to let shafts flipping relative to the bracket if pushed hard enough.


Now here's my VFR with stock (shorter) and mod (longer) mirrors:


You can see the difference in mirror length and reflective area between these two.

Finally, VFR grasshopper with both mirrors modded:


Update: I've ridden about 5K km since this mod, so I'm basically satisfied with the  visibility and ergonomics of Fazer mirrors. They do vibrate slightly on certain RBMs but that's easily bearable. The major drawback is that the bike became much wider with Fazer mirrors than it used to be with originals, so I'm now having trouble riding fast between the lanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment